In addition to the article excerpted below, here are two other resources that are worth checking out:
- A Guide to Utilization of the Microbiology Laboratory for Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases: 2013 Recommendations by the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) and the American Society for Microbiology (ASM) [PubMed Abstract] [Full Text HTML] [Download Full Text PDF]. Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Aug;57(4):e22-e121. doi: 10.1093/cid/cit278. Epub 2013 Jul 10. [This guideline is under current review and a new version is expected in 2018.
- 2017 Infectious Diseases Society of America Infectious Diarrhea Guidelines: A View From the Clinical Laboratory [PubMed Abstract] . Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Oct 19. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix730. [Epub ahead of print]
And here is a link to the excellent Infectious Diarrhea Podcast (32:02) that is a review of the 2017 Diarrhea Guidelines from the IDSA. Outstanding!
The following are excerpts from The 2017 Infectious Diseases Society of America Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Infectious Diarrhea [PubMed Abstract] [Full Text HTML] [Full Text PDF]. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Oct 19. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix669. [Epub ahead of print]:
Below are direct links to the figure, and tables of the article. These resources alone can provide an excellent quick review of the subject.
- Fig 1 Considerations When Evaluating Fig 1 Considerations When Evaluating Infectious Diarrhea
- Table 1. Modes of Acquisition of Enteric Organisms and Sources of Guidelines
- Table 2. Exposure or Condition Associated With Pathogens Causing Diarrhea
- Table 3. Clinical Presentations Suggestive of Infectious Diarrhea Etiologies
- Table 4. Postinfectious Manifestations Associated With Enteric Pathogens
- Table 5. Laboratory Diagnostics for Organisms Associated With Infectious Diarrhea
- Table 6. Recommended Antimicrobial Agents by Pathogen
- Table 7. Fluid and Nutritional Management of Diarrhea
And here are direct links to the various parts of the HTML format of the article: