The links in Resource (1) below provide the outstanding 2017 guidelines for the appropriate use of oxygen therapy in every acute care setting. For home oxygen use (long term oxygen therapy [LTOT] see Resources (2) and (3)
See Summary of Guideline Recommendations and Good Practice Points from Resource (1) [This page is from the emedicine/medscape article on the guidelines]
(1) 2017 BTS Guideline for oxygen use in healthcare and emergency settings [This is the link to the full text PDF of the guidelines] [PubMed Citation]
- BTS Guideline for oxygen use in adults in healthcare and emergency settings
- Web Appendix 3 Summary of guideline for hospital use
- Web Appendix 5 Summary for ambulance and prehospital settings
- Web Appendix 6 Patient information
- Web Appendix 10 Key points for primary care
- Web appendix 7 Slide set for doctors
- Web Appendix 8 Slide set for nurses and AHPs
- Oxygen Alert Card template 2017
- Web Appendix 4 Local oxygen policy template
(2) British Thoracic Society guidelines for home oxygen use in adults. [PubMed Abstract] [Full Text HTML] [Full Text PDF] Thorax 2015;70(Suppl 1): i1–43.
(3) British Thoracic Society quality standards for home oxygen use in adults [PubMed Abstract] [Full Text HTML] [Full Text PDF]. BMJ Open Respir Res. 2017 Sep 18;4(1):e000223. doi: 10.1136/bmjresp-2017-000223. eCollection 2017.