In this post I link to and excerpt from ADHD in children and youth: Part 3 – Comorbidities – CPS Podcast from PedsCases.
The above podcast is based upon ADHD in children and youth: Part 3-Assessment and treatment with comorbid ASD, ID, or prematurity [PubMed Abstract] [Full Text HTML] [Full Text PDF]. Paediatr Child Health. 2018 Nov; 23(7): 485–490 from The Canadian Paediatric Society.
Here are excerpts from the podcast:
This podcast is the conclusion to the CPS Podcast series on ADHD in children and youth. Based on the 2018 CPS statement on ADHD, this episode will discuss assessment and treatment with comorbid autism spectrum disorder, intellectual disability, and prematurity. It was created by Renée Lurie, a third-year medical student from the University of Ottawa, in collaboration with the authors of the statement: Drs. Stacey Bélanger, Mark Feldman, and Brenda Clark from the Universities of Montreal, Toronto, and Alberta respectively.
- Podcast: ADHD in Children and Youth: Part 1 – Etiology, Diagnosis, and Comorbidity – CPS Podcast
- Podcast: ADHD
- Podcast: Developmental Assessment
- Case: School difficulties in a 7-year-old female
Hi, my name is Renée Lurie and I am a third-year medical student at the University of Ottawa. This podcast was made in conjunction with PedCases and the Canadian Pediatric Society. This is part three of a three-part series based on the 2018 CPS
Statements on Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder. This podcast discusses the new CPS statement, ADHD in children and youth: Part 3—Assessment and treatment
with comorbid ASD, ID, or prematurity. These podcasts were created with the authors of the statements: Dr. Stacey Bélanger from the University of Montreal, Dr. Mark Feldman
from the University of Toronto, and Dr. Brenda Clark from the University of Alberta. For additional information and to view the complete CPS statement, please visit cps.ca.
After listening to this podcast, the learner will be able to:
1. Recognize disorders that are at an increased risk for having co-morbid ADHD and why screening for ADHD is important in these disorders.
2. Understand how to diagnose ADHD in ASD and ID populations.
3. Identify overlapping symptoms between ADHD, ASD and ID.
4. Develop a multifactorial treatment approach for children with comorbid ADHD, and ASD or ID. Identify first-line medications and side-effects of these medications that are common in the ASD and ID populations.