For detailed guidelines, please see American Diabetes Association‘s Chapter 15 Diabetes Care in the Hospital: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2021 [Full-Text HTML] [Full-Text PDF]. Diabetes Care 2021 Jan; 44(Supplement 1): S211-S220.
In this post, I link to and excerpt from Core IM‘s Oral Diabetes Medications Inpatient: Mind the Gap Segment. Posted: October 13, 2021
By: Dr. Satya Patel, Dr. Shreya P. Trivedi, Dr. Guillermo Umpierrez, Dr. Aaron Troy and Dr. Tyler Larsen
Graphic: Dr. Mike Natter
Audio: Max Had
Peer Review: Dr Amanda Klinger, Dr. Jane Weinreb
All that follows is from the above resource.
The show notes and transcript contain useful details on the use of oral type 2 Diabetes medications in inpatients.
- 02:34 Can we give metformin in the hospital?
- 10:50 Incretin-based therapies
- 14:27 Sodium Glucose Cotransporter-2 Inhibitors
- 16:27 Sulfonylurea & Thiazolidinediones
- 18:00 Basal Insulin Inpatient