In this post I link to and excerpt from The Curbsiders‘ [link is to the complete episode list] #277 Bone Up on Osteoporosis in Primary Care with Dr. Carolyn Crandall, MAY 31, 2021 By DR EMI OKAMOTO.*
*Valdez I, Crandall C, Williams PN,, Watto MF. “#277 Bone Up on Osteoporosis in Primary Care”. The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast. https://thecurbsiders.com/episode-list Air Date May 31, 2021.
Here are additional resources. Most are from the above article but some are from my internet search.
- FRAX®: Prediction of Major Osteoporotic Fractures in Women from the General Population: The OPUS Study [Full-Text HTML]. PLoS One. 2013; 8(12): e83436.
- The population burden of fractures originates in women with osteopenia, not osteoporosis [Full-Text PDF]. February 2006Osteoporosis International 17(9):1404-9
- Hip Fractures in Older Adults in 2019 [Full-Text PDF]. JAMA Insights | CLINICAL UPDATE. Published Online: May 10, 2019. doi:10.1001/jama.2019.5453
- Wrist Fracture and Risk of Subsequent Fracture: Findings from the Women’s Health Initiative Study [Full-Text HTML]. JBMR First published: 19 May 2015.
- Prevalence of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw in Patients With Oral Bisphosphonate Exposure [PubMed Abstract]. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010 Feb;68(2):243-53.
- Bisphosphonate-Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw. Updated: Jan 08, 2021
Author: Remy H Blanchaert, Jr, DDS, MD from emedicine.medscape.com
- Editorial: Bisphosphonate-Associated Osteonecrosis of the Jaw: Report of a Task
Force of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research [Full-Text PDF]. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH
Volume 22, Number 10, 2007
- Managing Osteoporosis in Patients on Long-Term Bisphosphonate Treatment: Report of a Task Force of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research [Full-Text HTML]. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH. First published: 09 September 2015
- (Viswanathan, 2018) this is the one just below
- Screening to Prevent Osteoporotic Fractures: An Evidence Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force [Internet] [Full-Text HTML]. Evidence Synthesis, No. 162. Viswanathan M, Reddy S, Berkman N, et al.
Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2018 Jun.
- Treatment of Low Bone Density or Osteoporosis to Prevent Fractures in Men and Women: A Clinical Practice Guideline Update From the American College of Physicians [PubMed Abstract] [Full-Text HTML]. Ann Intern Med. 2017 Jun 6;166(11):818-839.
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists/American College of Endocrinology Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Postmenopausal Osteoporosis—2020 Update [Full-Text HTML]. Endocrine Practice, Volume 26, Supplement 1, May 2020, Pages 1-46
- Mitigating osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) through preventive dental care and understanding of risk factors [Full-Text HTML]. Bone Research volume 8, Article number: 14 (2020)
- Link to the Mayo Clinic Shared Decision Making National Resource Center
- Cardiovascular Primary Prevention Choice
- Chest Pain Choice
- Depression Medication Choice
- Diabetes Medication Choice
- Graves Disease Decision Aid
- Head CT Choice Decision Aid
- Osteoporosis Decision Aid
- PCI Choice
- Smoking Cessation Around The Time Of Surgery
- Anticoagulation Choice
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Choice
- Statin Choice Decision Aid
- Secondary Osteoporosis from StatPearls [Internet]. Last Update: June 30, 2020.
- cont article review at CKD and Osteoporosis Treatment
From the introduction:
Bone up on osteoporosis in primary care! Don’t let osteoporosis sneak up on your patients with a vertebral fracture or a hip fracture! Make no bones about your osteoporosis knowledge, from knowing when to screen your patients to selecting a treatment that matches your patient’s lifestyle. Join us as we discuss these topics and more with osteoporosis expert and internal medicine physician, Dr. Carolyn Crandall (UCLA).
Free CME for this episode at curbsiders.vcuhealth.org!
All that follows is from the above outstanding post.