I originally reviewed and posted links to Dr. Farkas’ outstanding Guide to Supportive Care In Critical Illness from his Internet Book Of Critical Care [Link is to the table of contents] earlier this year in April.
I reviewed the entire post again today and so I linked again to Dr. Farkas’ chapter on supportive care. It is the best resource on the subject that I’ve come across.
Here are excerpts from Dr. Farkas’ show notes:
CONTENTS [These are direct links to the sections of Dr. Farkas’ post.]
- The understated importance of high-quality supportive care
- Medications to avoid in ICU
- Anemia & transfusion targets
- Glycemic control
- Nutrition for the intubated patient
- Pain, agitation, and delirium
- Volume status & diuresis
- Electrolyte management
- Troponin elevation & heparin drips
- Approach to fever in the ICU
- Questions & discussion
- PDF of this chapter (or create customized PDF)