1 in 5 pregnancies end in miscarriage. Providing treatment of early pregnancy loss in primary care settings is safe, effective and better for women. (1)
In this post I have provided some links to resources on management of early pregnancy loss in the primary care setting.
- First Trimester Bleeding Algorithm
- MVA for Miscarriage: Policy and Procedure
- Office Management of Early Pregnancy Loss
- Medication Management of Miscarriage With Misoprostol Protocol
- Miscarriage Treatment Options
- Evaluation of Basic Ultrasound Skills
(2) Training, Education & Advocacy In Miscarriage Management from the University of Washington Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. This page has links to a number of resources on the management of miscarriage including:
(3)The YouTube Video, Manual Vacuum Aspiration of the Uterus: An Under-Utilized and Cost-Effective Technology from Drexel University College of Medicine, is an excellent tutorial on the procedure. The procedure is used for the management of early pregnancy loss. The video discusses indications, assembly of the MVA, a papaya model for MVA technique, and intraoperative applications.
(4) Creating a Uterus Model is another YouTube video relevant to the topic.
(7) The family medicine residency training initiative in miscarriage management: impact on practice in Washington State. [PubMed Abstract] [Full Text HTML] [Full Text PDF] Fam Med. 2013 Feb;45(2):102-8.