In the these additional resources I link to:
- POCUS – Lung Ultrasound: How to diagnose a pneumothorax with ultrasound. YouTube video from Pocus Geek Channel.
- “This video explains the technique used to identify a lung point, which represents a pneumothorax, when performing thoracic/lung ultrasound.”
- EMCrit Podcast 245 – Tension Pneumothorax with Simon Leigh-Smith
April 24, 2019 by Dr. Scott Weingart
- “Today, a topic about which you may already believe you know all you need to know–chances are you don’t. What we were taught about tension pneumo by textbooks and trauma courses may not be right. To discuss tension pneumothorax, there is no better guest thanDr. Simon Leigh-Smith.”
- EMCrit 255 – Pigtails for Pleural Problems (Percutaneous Thoracostomy)
September 4, 2019 by Dr. Scott Weingart.
- “Pigtails should replace chest tubes for most pneumothoraces and pleural effusions requiring drainage. In this episode, I discuss points on use and placement. The next post will be a video on an actual placement.”
- EMCrit – The Pigtail Video
- See a real-time ultrasound placement from ThinkingCC
- ThinkingCC’s thoughts on Pigtails
Here is the prologue to Dr. Mellick’s video
In this video a 21 year old with a large spontaneous pneumothorax is treated with a TRU-CLOSE® Thoracic Vent instead of chest tube. This technique effectively treats a pneumothorax while avoiding the degree of pain and incapacitation associated with chest tubes.