The Global Initiative On Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) 2017 Guidelines (1) recommends treating patients using spirometry, symptom scores, and number of exacerbations to guide therapy.
The GOLD A – B – C – D classification of COPD is based on the above three factors.
There are a number of symptom scores for COPD.
- The COPD Assessment Tool (CAT) (2)
- Modified Medical Research Council Dyspnea Scale (mMRC) (3)
- St George’s Respiratory Questionnaire for COPD (SGRQ-C) (5) [Link to the PDF Questionnaire]
(1) The Global Initiative For Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease has published GOLD 2017 Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of COPD[Download link to PDF] and the POCKET GUIDE TO COPD DIAGNOSIS, MANAGEMENT, AND PREVENTION: A Guide for Health Care Professionals 2017 REPORT [Link is to the PDF]
(3) Modified Medical Research Council Dyspnea Scale (mMRC) [PDF]
(5) ST GEORGE’S RESPIRATORY QUESTIONNAIRE FOR COPD PATIENTS (SGRQ-C)