- Unhealthy alcohol use is a catch-all term meant to describe a spectrum of drinking ranging from risky use all the way to alcohol use disorder.
- The DSM-IV terms alcohol abuse and dependence have been replaced by the DSM-5 term alcohol use disorder, which is defined as a problematic pattern of alcohol use leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by psychosocial, behavioral, or physiologic features
- According to National Institute on alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), risk for alcohol use disorder is thought of as daily and weekly alcohol limits:
- For men less than 65 years: more than 4 drinks/day or 14 drinks/week for
- For women and men over 65 years: more than 3 drinks/day or 7 drinks/week
- The United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) has recommended that all adults in primary care be screened for unhealthy alcohol use
- The AUDIT-C tool is the recommended screening tool for unhealthy alcohol use, and consists of the following questions:
- How often did you have a drink containing alcohol in the last year?
- How many drinks containing alcohol did you have on a typical night when you were drinking?
- How often did you have six or more drinks on one occasion in the past year?
- A single-item screening question has also been validated. It is the most sensitive question for unhealthy alcohol use.
- For men, how many times in the last year, have you had more than four drinks in a day?
- For women, how many times in the last year, have you had more than three drinks in a day?
- The negative health impacts of alcohol include most types of cancer with the exception of thyroid cancer.
- Patients are often diagnosed with comorbid medical conditions that may be reversible if the underlying alcohol use disorder is diagnosed and treated appropriately
- Labs values can be a useful tool for assessing alcohol use and educating patients on end-organ damage; however, they are not recommended for routine diagnosis of the disease
Follow Tom On:
- Links To And Excerpts From “Episode 176.0 – Pneumonia Updates” From Core EM
- Links To And Excerpts From “Episode 177.0 – Hemoptysis” From Core EM
- Links To And Excerpts From “Assessment and Management of Toxidromes in the Critical Care Unit”
- “Toxic Alcohols” – Links To And Excerpts From Dr Farkas’ Internet Book Of Critical Carer
- 2020 Lipid Guidelines Review – Part 3 – Links To And Excerpts From “The 2019 ESC/EAS Guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias: lipid modification to reduce cardiovascular risk”
- Links To And Excerpts From Posterior circulation ischaemic stroke 2014 From The BMJ
- 2020 Lipid Guidelines Review – Part 2 – Links And Excerpts From “The 2018 AHA/ACC Guideline on the Managenent of Blood Cholesterol: Executive Summary”
- 2020 Lipid Guidelines Review – Part 1 – The Curbsiders #191 Lipids Update And Cardiovascular Risk
- “Vasopressors” From The Internet Book Of Critical Care By Dr. Josh Farkas
- Link To And Excerpts From “EMCrit 266 – High Sensitivity Troponins with Louise Cullen”
- Links To Indications For And Use Of Emergency IV Medicines
- Links To And Excerpts From “Assessment of fever in the returning traveller”
- Links To And Excerpts From “Evaluation of a programme for ‘Rapid Assessment of Febrile Travelers’ (RAFT)”
- Links To “EMCrit 256 – RUSH Redux” With The Mnemonic HI-MAP
- The Pediatric Needle In A Haystack Problem – Links To And Excerpts From Articles On Abnormal Pediatric Vital Signs In The ED
- Link To And Excerpts From “Episode 135.0 – Occult Causes of Non-Response to Vasopressors” Podcast From Core EM
- Link To And Excerpts From Point of Care Ultrasound – Recommended Curriculum Guidelines for Family Medicine Residents Endorsed By The AAFP
- Link To POCUS Cases 1 Pulmonary Embolus, Version 2 From Emergency Medicine Cases
- Links To And Excerpt From the 2019 Guidelines for Performing a Comprehensive Transthoracic Echocardiographic Examination in Adults
- Links To The List Of Endocrine Society Guidelines
- Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome (Thiamine Deficiency) Can Occur In Non-alcoholics As Well As In Alcoholics
- Links To And Excerpts From “5 Pearls on Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorder” From CoreIM
- Links To And Excerpts From “5 Pearls Of Unhealthy Alcohol Use” From Core IM With An Additional Resource
- Link To And Excerpts From “Prediction of Alcohol Withdrawl Severity Scale” On MDCalc
- Phenlketonuria – A New Medicine And An Article On The Medicine’s Effect On A Young Patient’s Life
- Links To Dr Farkas’ “Generalized Convulsive Status Epilepticus” From His Internet Book Of Critical Care
- Link To Three Innovative Healthcare Company Articles From MobiHealth
- Link To MobiHealth News’ article, The 53 digital health mergers and acquisitions we covered in 2019
- Link To And Excerpts From “10 reasons why health care startups fail” From Stat
- Alcohol Use Disorder – Help From The Curbsiders