I’m using the Episode List of The Curbsiders Podcasts to review various primary care topics. Today I reviewed #6: Become a Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain Master, Part 1
MAY 4, 2016 and #7: Become a Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain Master, Part 2
MAY 11, 2016. In these two episodes the hosts interview Dr. Daniel Clauw.
Here are some excerpts from the show notes of Episode #6 and Episode #7:
- Recognize the symptom pattern of multifocal pain with fatigue, memory problems and sleep disturbances as fibromyalgia.
- Fibromyalgia can be present in addition to a chronic nociceptive conditions e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, sickle cell disease
- Give Cyclobenzaprine 5-15 mg about three hours before bed to minimize next day grogginess
- Give two thirds of sedating meds like gabapentin, pregabalin in the evening and one third in the morning
- Drop the tender point exam. Instead use the new 2011 ACR Criteria to diagnose fibromyalgia [below].
The above figure is from Dr. Clauw’s article Resource (2) below.
The following posts are my review of fibromyalgia:
“Fibromyalgia And Related Conditions” By Dr. Daniel J. Clauw – Links And Excerpts
Posted on August 3, 2018
EULAR revised recommendations for the management of fibromyalgia – Links And Excerpts Posted on August 6, 2018
EULAR revised recommendations for the management of fibromyalgia [PubMed Abstract] [Full Text HTML] [Full Text PDF]. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017 Feb;76(2):318-328. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2016-209724. Epub 2016 Jul 4.