Take your salt game to the next-next level. We brushed off this fan favorite episode and rebooted #48 hyponatremia deconstructed with our Chief of Nephrology, Dr. Joel Topf aka @kidney_boy aka The Salt Whisperer for your CME earning pleasure. Learn the correct steps to diagnose and manage this common and dangerous condition. Topics covered include: true versus false hyponatremia, SIADH, tea and toast hyponatremia, beer potomania, safe rates of sodium correction, IV fluid choice, vaptans and more.
In addition, I link to some of my previous posts on hyponatremia:
- Episode 60: Emergency Management of Hyponatremia [Link to the podcast and show notes] [Link to the PDF show notes] from Emergency Medicine Cases March 2015
- The PDF show notes are an excellent brief summary and checklist on the treatment of hyponatremia
- CritCases 10 Hyponatremia Associated Seizures from Emergency Medicine Cases June 19, 2018
- Carefully review this post after reviewing Episode 60 above.
- Hyponatremia – Best Help Ever From Drs. Topf And Weingart With Additional Resources
Posted on April 29, 2019 by Tom Wade MD
- Note to myself: Review this resource rather than Dr. Weingart’s show notes because my notes work better for me (although his show notes contain many critical resources).
- Hyponatremia [Link To The Podcast] [Link To The Show Notes] From The Internet Book Of Critical Care [Link To the Table Of Contents]
Dec 12, 2019 by Dr. Josh Farkas
- Hyponatremia – Diagnostic Schema From The Clinical Problem Solvers
Posted on March 26, 2020 by Tom Wade MD
Here is the podcast [the clinical teaching begins at 16:20. Before that is introduction.]:
Here are excerpts from #48 show notes: