An additional awesome resource on COVID-19 is The Curbsiders‘ #206 Airway Management for the Non-Intensivist. APRIL 13, 2020 By DR CYRUS ASKIN:
PITFALLS & PEARLS IN THE COVID-19 ERA WITH MEDICAL
INTENSIVIST DR. KEVIN CHUNG
And here is the link to one of the finest resources on COVID-19 – from The Internet Book Of Critical Care [Link is to the TOC]- Chapter on COVID-19. March 2, 2020 by Dr Josh Farkas. Last updated 5/24 (recently updated text marked in green) [Dr Farkas updates the chapter whenever he finds new information on COVID-19].
Dr Farkas has posted six COVID-19 update podcasts and the most recent was on 5-17-2020.
In this post I link to the outstanding resource, COVID-19 ToolBox:
Evaluation and Treatment for COVID-19
Together We Fight
Here are the two algorithms which were prepared 3-25-2020 and some of the recommendations are no longer current. However, both algorithms are still a great way to organize your thinking.
Here are links to Risk Calculators:
- National Early Warning Score (NEWS)Sequential Organ Failure Assessment (SOFA)
- Link is from MDCalc: Determines the degree of illness of a patient and prompts critical care intervention.
- The NEWS2 Score is endorsed by the NHS (UK) as an updated version of the original NEWS.
- ScoreqSOFA (Quick SOFA) Score for Sepsis
- Link is from MDCalc: Identifies high-risk patients for in-hospital mortality with suspected infection outside the ICU.
- The RESP Score
- The RESP Score has been developed by ELSO and The Department of Intensive Care at The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne. It is designed to assist prediction of survival for adult patients undergoing Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation for respiratory failure. It should not be considered for patients who are not on ECMO or as substitute for clinical assessment
- For more information see:
Schmidt M, Bailey M, Sheldrake J, et al. Predicting Survival after ECMO for Severe Acute Respiratory Failure: the Respiratory ECMO Survival Prediction (RESP)-Score. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014.
- PIPER Score
- Did any of the following occur within 6 hours of the patient being placed on ECMO?
- Link is from the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization
- Score for HLH
- Link is from MDCalc: Diagnoses reactive hemophagocytic syndrome.
- PulmCrit- Sepsis 4.0: Understanding sepsis-HLH overlap syndrome
June 6, 2016 by Dr Josh Farkas of Pulcrit
- Development and Validation of the HScore, a Score for the Diagnosis of Reactive Hemophagocytic Syndrome [PubMed Abstract]
- C19 Check
- Useful link that practitioners could share with patients assessing risk and triage