The reason I placed these notes in my blog instead of just placing a link is that by copying them they can function as study notes [the whole blog is essentially just my study notes] and doing this helps me remember the topic.
All type 1 diabetics should become very knowledgeable about diet and nutrition and all the links on this page should be carefully reviewed.
The most important topics for type 1 diabetes are How To Count Carbohydrates in the diet, Learning To Read Food Labels, Understanding Fiber, Count Sugar Alcohol, Weighing the Food, Demystifying Sugar and Artificial Sweeteners.
A healthy diet is central to the management of diabetes. When you have diabetes you have to know a lot about food because food affects your blood sugar, your body weight, and your heart health. This section is one of the most important on the site.
In this section, you will learn about:
- Understanding Food:
Know which foods have carbohydrate, protein and fat – and how to choose a balanced diet.
- Understanding Carbohydrates:
How to count carbohydrates to control your blood sugar.
- Understanding Fats and Oils:
How to choose healthy fats and oils.
- Understanding Protein:
How to make protein choices in your diet.
- Diabetes and Alcohol:
Understanding alcohol safety.
- Heart Health:
How to have a heart healthy lifestyle.
Additional Resources on nutrition from Diabetes Education Online
- View a sample list of food exchanges
- View a sample 1200 calorie meal plan using the Exchange Lists for Diabetes
- View a sample 1600 calorie meal plan using the Exchange Lists for Diabetes
- More Information On Carbohydrates
- Information On How To Count Carbohydrates
- How To Calculate Carbohydrates By Food Weight
- Food Exchange Lists To Help You Make Healthy Diet Choices
- Information on Sugar And Sugar Substitutes