The Peds Cases podcast and show notes of Von Willebrand Disease are linked below.
See also Use Of The Pediatric Bleeding Questionnaire As A Screening Tool For Von Willebrand Disease
Posted on August 12, 2019 by Tom Wade MD
And here are some excerpts from the Script (transcript of the podcast).
Von Willebrand Disease
Developed by Chen Jin and Dr. Mia Lang for PedsCases.com
Aug 2, 2019
Take home points
● VWD is the most common inherited bleeding disorder affecting approximately 1%* of the general population
● Disease severity could vary depending on subtype of disease and not all patients may seek medical attention
● Common presentations include excessive and prolonged mucocutaneous bleeding and easy bruising
● Diagnosis of VWD is made when there is a VWF activity and/or VWF antigen level of 30 IU/dL or less
● Consider acquired VWD as a possible diagnosis in patients with other medical comorbidities such as hematologic malignancies and systemic lupus erythematosus
● Treatment options include VWF replacements on an as-needed basis and desmopressin
*Other resources cite a prevalence of 1 per 1000. [Insert link]