New Version of the COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Published
The COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel (the Panel) is pleased to announce the publication of an updated version of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Treatment Guidelines.
In the United States, the prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 Omicron subvariants that are not susceptible to tixagevimab plus cilgavimab (Evusheld) is now more than 90%. Because of this, tixagevimab plus cilgavimab is not authorized for use as COVID-19 pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) in the United States. The Panel now recommends against the use of tixagevimab plus cilgavimab as COVID-19 PrEP. Several sections of the Guidelines have been revised to reflect this recommendation, including Testing for SARS-CoV-2 Infection, Prevention of SARS-CoV-2 Infection, and many of the sections in Special Populations.
Other key updates include:
- The Panel updated the information on breakthrough infection in Clinical Spectrum of SARS-CoV-2 Infection. The Panel also expanded the description of viral or symptom rebound after COVID-19 and prolonged viral shedding with or without symptoms in patients who are immunocompromised and who have COVID-19.
- Information from 2 case series that describe clinical experience with ritonavir-boosted nirmatrelvir in pregnant patients with COVID-19 has been added to Ritonavir-Boosted Nirmatrelvir (Paxlovid).
- The Ivermectin section now includes data from 3 large randomized controlled trials that were published after the last Guidelines update. These trials reported that the use of ivermectin did not provide a clinical benefit for patients with mild to moderate COVID-19. Based on the results from these 3 trials and other studies previously reviewed by the Panel, the Panel recommends against the use of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19.
Follow Tom On:
- Links and Excerpts From PedsCrit: “Intubation Essentials with Dr. Alyssa Stoner and Dr. Gina Patel, Part 4 Sedation & Analgesia Overview JULY 22, 2021 PEDSCRIT
- Links To And Excerpts From “Rate of Workers Enrolled in High-Deductible Health Plans Jumps for 8th Year in Row to Record 55.7%” From ValuePenguin
- “Application of Lung Ultrasound” From MetroHealth Ultrasound
- “POCUS For Pleural Fluid” From MetroHealth Emergency Ultrasound
- Outstanding “Introduction to Lung Ultrasound” from MetroHealth Emergency Ultrasound
- An Outstanding Introduction To ECMO: #79: ECMO Essentials with PedsCrit – It’s All Trains and Potatoes From The Cribsiders
- Links To And Excerpts From “Diagnostic Accuracy of Point-of-Care Ultrasound for Intussusception in Children Presenting to the Emergency Department: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis”
- Link To PedsCrit‘s “Intubation Essentials with Dr. Alyssa Stoner and Dr. Gina Patel, Part 2 Airway Equipment”
- Link To “PedsCrit’s Intubation Essentials with Dr. Alyssa Stoner and Dr. Gina Patel, Part 1 Preparation and Checklists” With A Link To An Additional Relevant Resource From Emergency Medicine Cases
- Link To “POCUS CHOP PEM Podcast”
- Links To The Complete List Of Pediatric Emergency Medicine Podcasts From The Children’s Hospital Of Philadelphia (CHOP)
- “Emergency Department Clinical Pathway for Healthy Children with Gastroenteritis/ Dehydration” From CHOP
- Link To “December 2022: Which is Best? Manual or Drill for IO Access in Neonates” From Dr. Larry Mellick’s Blog With A Link To An Additional Resource
- Links To And Excerpts From The Cribsiders: “#49: Appendicitis – Tips and Tricks For When It’s the Appendix”
- Links And Excerpts From The Cribsiders: “#33: Febrile Infants – When Babies Are Too Hot”
- Links And Excerpts From The Cribsiders: “#2: Go with the High Flow: Bronchiolitis with Dr. Brian Alverson” With Links To Additional Resources
- Links To And Excerpts From “AGA Clinical Practice Update on the Use of Vasoactive Drugs and Intravenous Albumin in Cirrhosis: Expert Review”
- Outstanding PedsCrit: “PedsCrit Rapid Response Teams with Dr. Nada Mallick and the Cribsiders — Part 2”
- Outstanding PedsCrit: “Rapid Response Teams with Dr. Nada Mallick and the Cribsiders — Part 1”
- Excellent YouTube Video: “Push Dose Pressors for EMS: Epinephrine and Norepinephrine”
- Links And Excerpts: “2023 ESC Guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes”
- “Ep 188 Hemoptysis – ED Approach and Management” From Emergency Medicine Cases
- Conjunctivitis From PedsCases With Links To Additional Resources
- “CT for Evaluation of Hemoptysis” From Radiographics
- Links To And Excerpts From “2022 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on the Role of Nonstatin Therapies for LDL-Cholesterol Lowering in the Management of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease Risk: A Report of the American College of Cardiology Solution Set Oversight Committee”
- “The Lipid Panel Reimagined: Mind the Gap Segment” From Core IM
- “The Role of Non-Statin Therapies in Optimal Cholesterol Management” From Emory Cardiology Grand Rounds
- “How Did Diabetes Medications Become Weight Loss Meds? Beyond Journal Club on SURMOUNT-1 Trial” From Core IM
- Links To And Excerpts From “CAD-RADS™ 2.0 – 2022 Coronary Artery Disease – Reporting and Data System An Expert Consensus Document . . .”
- Links To Resources On Obesity Medicine